Monday, March 23, 2009

Two’s Company

Gender equality in the moth class took a massive step forward with not one, but two new girls taking to foils. James, myself, Holly and Hannah turned up at sunny HISC to 8-12 knots of breeze and sunshine.

James and I launched first to ‘test’ the boats (read have a blast while the breeze looked good). I then took the lead and went two up with Holly. It was surprisingly easy – I righted the boat, and scooped her up with it. She then sat in the middle, and away we went! The boat felt fine – just like a slightly heavier, slower moth – so long as she stayed still. As soon as she moved you could really feel the effect. I think I true two person foiler would be an interesting study in synchronised sailing! We foiled around for about 10 minutes quite happily, at which point I launched myself towards the shore and left her too it. An hour in and she was foiling like no one’s business: After a little coaching from James. Turns out 45kgs may be about the lower weight limit though. Hannah and James used a similar technique, with much success (although I’m not sure she’s forgiven him for the aborted attempt at a foiling gybe yet) I think the class now has two more girls hooked!

And the best part? Hannah magiced a civilised picnic from thin air between changeovers. Humus and all sorts. Amazing.

James and I also did a boat swap, which was a very interesting experience. Briefly:

The prowler zero feels like (and I think is) like a much lighter boat
The bladerider control systems are simply streets ahead; the ride is smooth and positive
This means you feel very safe in the BR (I think the more enclosed tramps help this). James said ‘it doesn’t feel like it’s trying to kill you’
The BR, at least with my set up, is either foiling at a very specific height or lowriding. Once you pop onto the foils it immediately fly’s high and stable – this is great in foiling conditions, but I’m not convinced is the quickest set up in the really marginal stuff.
The bladerider foils are far more prone to stalling; whereas the prowler will ‘glide’ down off the foils the BR tries desperately to maintain height then suddenly drops.
I found the prowler more exciting to sail in the lighter breeze – it feels livlier and is keen to foil early. I think this would translate to fear as the breeze built though..
The prowler is a much more forgiving boat to gybe, but the bladerider is a better boat to learn to moth sail in (mainly due to the training wings)
Mainfoil ventilation is not a good look.

Now to combine the best qualities of both....




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now to combine the best qualities of both....
I think someone has had this idea.
...and you get a Mach 2

Giovanni Galeotti said...

Pretty hard to generalise about BR and Prowler. How the boats are set up will have a big influence. Like you say the BR control system appears to be an evolutionary step ahead but that's far from the last word. The Prowler just needs some more development. This is a development class....

Giovanni

Tom said...

True, that's why we are working together. James' boat reflects the latest - stock - prowler zero thinking, and mine reflects the set up the top few bladeriders were using at the worlds, so it's a good reference point. Development is always the name of the game. Watch this space..

Rod Harris said...

"it feels like it doesnt want to kill you" you never did try my mistress did you James? Dinner plate bruises like i'd spent a couple of weeks in a turksih jail rather than being in Garda. Prowler is a nun by comparison - a rocket nun that is.

Rod Harris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.