Monday, March 16, 2009

Now that's what I call Regatta Preparation

..or the Parkstone open...


What a great event! 15 boats turned up to a breezy Parkstone. Roche and I did a team effort in the van, involving a mission to get the boats from HISC on Friday night, and a large amount of free Burger King. 3 XL double cheeseburgers – now that’s what I call regatta preparation.

There were some pretty nervous sailors on the slipway, who were feeling a touch less confident when faced with 20knots and an interesting route out of the marina after a lazy winter. None the less, we all negotiated the cruisers and cadet fleet without accident or complaint, and once out Poole harbour delivered. Mike Pascal is always a fanatasic race officer, and gave us four excellent races, with ideal length courses and no needless waiting around.

Mike Lennon lead the way, sailing fastest and smartest, but the whole fleet have jumped in ability since last year – the separation is much less, mistakes are punished, and the % of boats upside down at any time has dropped through the floor. I was pleased with my own performacnce, high and fast upwind, and I felt I started well – although pushed it a little & was OCS in the last race. At least I went back, unlike some! My focus between now and the Hayling open is downwind – I let the pressure get to my gybes and I’m struggling to get to grips with the angles. That, along with fitness, fitness, fitness. Not hiking up the second beat is slooowww.

Day two was a light breeze driftoff, top points all round for the freestyle – I’ll buy a pint for the first person to pull a grubby..

Rod put in a lot of effort organising this, and the results really showed - thanks for a great event. Still lots to work on, and with the fleet pushing hard no one can afford to stand still this year. I’ve a feeling its going to be epic.


1 comment:

Rod Harris said...

Nice one Tom! But who is the hobo about to nick all your burgers? He has a bit too much of the "norman bates" look about him for safety i think!! If you hold that black sheep speed all round the course you'll be shaking a few trees my friend !